Thursday, June 2, 2011

Mike's Birthday!

If Chris had a horrible family that hated me, I would probably still be happy to marry him. But, praise the Lord, I have been blessed with pretty incredible in-laws... Chris' dad, Mike, is one in particular. Mike is a great example of Christ-like humility and service. He has a hunger for the truth and a desire to be in the Word of God that is inspiring and convicting. Mike always blesses us when he comes to visit... cleaning my car, fixing stuff around the house and buying us steak dinners are just a few examples.

Two years ago for Christmas we did a family gift exchange where we drew a name and a letter and we had to get a gift for that person, starting with that letter for under $10. I drew Mike and the letter "x" and I was clever enough to get him an "Xtra Large" t-shirt. Well, Mike drew my name and the letter "N" and he made me the "Newbold Cottonwood." Mike got copper wire from the phone company that has been in use in KS for several decades and a spent countless hours fashioning a cottonwood tree out of the wire that looks like the one in my parent's front yard. He told me to think of the hundreds of conversations that have gone through that wire. I get choked up just thinking about it! What a thoughtful father in-law the Lord has blessed me with.

So, Happy Birthday Mike! I hope it's a happy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment